Who We Are
City with Dwellings: A Community First Initiative (CwD) works to end homelessness by creating therapeutic and transformative community with individuals facing chronic homelessness in Winston-Salem. By honoring the inherent dignity of each person, offering hospitality, and consistent relational support from CwD volunteers, we connect individuals with partner agencies providing housing first and supportive health resources.
What We Do
CwD was formed to respond to the city’s need for emergency overflow shelter during the winter months in December 2013. Anthony’s Plot, a ministry of the Moravian Church along with First Baptist Church on Fifth Street began organizing the shelter effort and were quickly joined by Augsburg Lutheran and New Story Church, each contributing shelter sites and leadership support. By January 2014, St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church and First Presbyterian Church became shelter sites and provided valuable volunteer leadership. Redeemer Presbyterian became a host for a site during the month of December in 2015 and continues to partner with us each year. From this core group of churches, volunteer and donor support has grown to represent over 75 diverse faith communities and church groups in the Greater Winston-Salem Forsyth County area.
In March 2017, CwD opened an active, welcoming, and engaging Community First space on Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 633 West Fourth Street in downtown Winston-Salem. In addition to assisting with the practical needs of persons experiencing homelessness, we believe positive growth is possible when the spiritual and emotional needs of high-risk vulnerable individuals are addressed. The year-round Community First space offers a supportive environment where individuals enjoy hospitality, work with volunteers to set and meet housing and health goals, and participate in innovative programming aimed at maintaining a strong connection to community.
Community Publicity and Coverage
- City with Dwellings Takes Home 2017 Breaking Barriers Award (2017, April, WS Chronicle)
- Sunday Brunch at the Katharine Brasserie Bar and Grill to Benefit City with Dwellings (2017, March, YES! Weekly)
- WBFJ Ministry of the Month: City with Dwellings (2017, January)
- From Transactional to Liturgical Politics (2016, December, Political Theology Today)
- A Snow-blanketed City with Dwellings (2016, January, WFU School of Divinity)
- A Family on the Edge of Destruction – Hard Realities on the Streets of Camel City (2015, Dec 3, CCD)
- Overflow homeless shelters open for season in Winston-Salem (2015, Dec 3, WS Journal)
- Overflow shelters open (2015, Dec 3, WXII)
- Winter overflow shelters to open Tuesday in Winston-Salem (2015, Nov 30, WGHP)
- Seeking Shelter – An Experience in Ministering to the Homeless (2014, Dec, Triad Moms on Main)
- Overflow homeless shelters in Winston-Salem need additional volunteers (2014, Jan 1, WGHP)
- Winston-Salem homeless shelters filled to capacity (2013, Dec 1, WGHP)
- Emergency Shelters will Open (2013, Dec 2, WXII)