Overflow Shelter Positions:
Position: Overflow Shelter Monitor
Compensation: $11/hour Opening Date: 10/1/2017 Closing Date: 12/1/2017
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, part-time
To apply, complete the City with Dwellings Employment Application and and send:
- By email: [wpml_mailto email=”firstname.lastname@example.org”]Email Us[/wpml_mailto]
- By mail: 2323 Sunnyside Ave Winston-Salem, NC 27127
Candidates must successfully complete all applicable background checks, including a substance abuse test, before being hired.
City With Dwellings is seeking overnight shelter monitors to provide leadership and oversight of the nightly operation of the winter overflow shelter. Position is for 24-36 hours/week.
This position will report directly to Rev. Russ May and the Overflow Shelter committee of City with Dwellings. This position is located in Winston-Salem, NC.
- Must be available to work 12hr shifts (6:30pm-6:30am).
- Assist with front-door universal triage and intake
- Provide a positive, supportive, and respectful presence within the shelter.
- Follow all check-in and check-out procedures
- Ensure that shelter spaces (bathrooms, kitchen, all communal areas, and outdoor entry points) are in good, safe, working order.
- Effectively communicate with guests so that they understand rules, rights, and responsibilities upon entry into the shelter. Conduct nightly shelter orientation.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all policies and procedures guiding the work of the shelters. Perform all job functions in line with these policies and procedures.
- Keep all required operational forms updated. This includes completing all HMIS paperwork, nightly reports, and incident report logs (as needed) during every shift.
- Maintain confidentiality standards with regards to guests’ records, reports, and notes.
- Perform proactive de-escalation and accommodation strategies with guests.
- Appropriately handle individual and group crises and conflicts.
- Follow site procedures for handling emergencies such as fire evacuation, emergencies requiring EMS, or circumstances requiring police intervention.
- Provide volunteer supervision and support.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and in-service training as requested
Candidates should substantially demonstrate the following knowledge, skill and abilities:
- Strong leadership, organizational, and communication skills are essential to this position
- Should be willing and able to work at a fast pace within a variety of settings and circumstances.
- Conflict management skills that de-escalate crisis situations (add’l training is provided)
- Patience in working with challenging situations and persons.
- Knowledge of factors that lead to homelessness, and conditions around mental, behavioral, and addictive illness.
- Able to relate to persons with addictive and/or mental health behaviors with sensitivity and low anxiety.
- Preference to applicants who have experience of direct service with homeless or mental/addictive health population.
- Excellent active-listening skills, creative problem solving (accommodation) skills, able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, able to work without supervision.
- Able to maintain appropriate and healthy boundaries with volunteers and guests. Conscious of the need for confidentiality.
- A passion for working with persons facing homelessness as part of a broad and multidisciplinary team.
This job requires a high level of physical exertion – including ability to move mats and bins, and stay awake and alert through the entire overnight shift.
City with Dwellings: a Community-First Initiative is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.